“Our son loves playing soccer…he is always excited for practice and games. Special kids like him need an opportunity to share that they are capable
of being part of society and having athletic opportunities is a key part.
A healthy body is needed by all and certainly playing soccer gives him a great way to improve his health.
He always comes home hot and sweaty from practice”
- What is TOPSoccer?
The Outreach Program for Soccer is a community-based program affiliated nationally with US Youth Soccer and locally with Lexington Youth Soccer Association that is designed to meet the needs of athletes with physical, developmental, and/or intellectual disabilities. Our goal is to provide a safe, fun and exciting atmosphere where athletes can learn and play this extraordinary game.
- Who is eligible to play in the TOPSoccer league?
Individuals with disabilities aged 4+. Disabilities might include but are not limited to: ADD/ADHD; Autism Spectrum Disorder; Down syndrome; Learning Disability; Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI); Developmental Delay; Vision or hearing impaired; Muscular Dystrophy; Cerebral Palsy
- What does the TOPS program in Lexington look like?
Each season approximately 50 athletes, ages 4 and older with a wide range of disabilities, participate across the three teams. Our team name is Blue Thunder. We have no paid staff and rely entirely on volunteers. Our volunteers serve as coaches, buddies, and/or on committees that assist us with fundraising, advertising, planning, or special events. Our league is made possible because of the generous support of many community donors that include The Jerome S. and Grace H. Murry Foundation, Children's Chaity of the Bluegrass, and Rod Hatfield Chevrolet/Chevy.
- When does TOPS practice? TOPS holds a fall and a spring season. Practice is held on Sunday afternoons for one hour. We do not practice on Labor Day, Memorial Day, or Easter weekend. Please check the Schedule section for specific dates.
You can access the on-line registration system Online Registration.
- Where does TOPS practice? During the fall season we use field #3 (nearest the concession stand) at Masterson Station Park. (http://www.lysa.org/images/Masterson%20Station.pdf). During the spring season we practice at Kentucky Indoor Soccer and Sports at 404 Sporting Court in Lexington.
- What type of volunteers do we need?
Volunteer positions include coaches, buddies, and committee members that focus on publicity, fund raising, planning, and organization of the league. Anyone can volunteer!
- Where can I get information on how to volunteer?